Their association within this Joint Degree represents the best Business/Engineering combination Europe could possibly offer, with extraordinary added value for the students who will follow this program in Big Data and Business.
Big data marks the beginning of a major transformation of the digital economy, which will significantly impact all industries. There are three main challenges to face:
- Technological: dealing with the explosion of data by managing the spread of vast amounts of information that is often very disorganized (IP addresses, fingerprinting, website logs, static web or warehouse data, social media, etc.)
- Scientific: replacing mass data with knowledge,i.e. developing the expertise that makes it possible to structure information, even out of tons of vague or corrupt data.
- Economic: managing data both to control risks and benefit from the new opportunities they offer. On the one hand, it is absolutely vital to be able to control the flow of information, anticipate data leaks, keep the information secure and ensure privacy. On the other hand, it is also essential to come up with solutions capable of transforming this flow of data into economic results and, at the same time, discover new sources of value from the data.
Exploiting this vast amount of data requires the following:
- A mastery of the sophisticated mathematical techniques needed to extract the relevant information.
- An advanced understanding of the fields where this knowledge can be applied in order to be in a position to interpret the analysis results and make strategic decisions.
- A strong business mindset and an even stronger strategic expertise, to be able to fully benefit from the new opportunities involved with Big Data problematics and develop business solutions accordingly.
- The ability to suggest and then decide on the choice of IT structures, the ability to follow major changes in IT systems, etc.
Therefore the program has three objectives:
- To train students in data sciences which combines mathematic modelling, statistics, IT and visualization to convert masses of information into knowledge.
- To give students the tools to understand the newest data distributing structures and large scale calculations to ease decision-making and guide them in their choices.
- To form data ‘managers’ capable of exploiting the results from analysis to make strategic decisions at the heart of our changeable businesses.
Les étudiants du MSc Big Data for Business ont l’opportunité de profiter des réseaux professionnels et d’alumni de deux institutions d’envergure internationale, HEC Paris et Ecole Polytechnique. Leur cursus est rythmé par de nombreux événements, rencontres, conférences et forums carrières.