Apply for the HEC PhD Program
The PhD Application Process
Built on a strategy of excellence, the HEC Paris PhD Program, known for its small size, aims to attract outstanding and motivated future PhD students with a clear ambition to become top researchers in international academic institutions.
We welcome applications from candidates of all nationalities who
- hold a university degree (Bachelor or Master) or equivalent in any field (sciences, engineering, political science, etc)
- are fluent in English
- have an outstanding academic record
- are highly motivated to study at one of the world's best research business schools.
Previous professional experience is not a requirement but may be a plus depending on the specialization.
Preparing an application for a PhD Program is a long process and may take time, not only to complete the online application and write your personal statement, but also to choose your referees. Preparing the GMAT or GRE test may also take time.
In order to give a maximum of chance for applicants to submit an outstanding and complete application, we have decided to hold two admissions sessions, one in January and one in April. There is no difference whether you apply in the first or second round.
OF THE SYSTEM
|PUBLICATION OF RESULTS|
July 1, 2021
December 16, 2021 (preferred deadline)
January 5, 2022
|5 - 6 weeks after
|Round II||January 6, 2022||
April 20, 2022
|5 - 6 weeks after
The HEC PhD program offers one intake per year in September.
by using the online platform, which you can reach by clicking on the 'Apply' button at the top of the this page. Note that we do not accept any application or document sent by email or by post.
The selection is a 2 phase process:
- Evaluation of applications and selection of shortlisted applicants. The shortlist is published approximately 2 - 3 weeks after the application deadline.
- Interview of shortlisted applicants (in-person or online). Admission results are published within 5 - 6 weeks after the application deadline.
A complete application should include the following:
- Degree certificate(s) or current enrollment certificate
- All official academic transcripts obtained in a higher education institution (Bachelor and Master if applicable)
- Personal statement motivating your choice of pursuing a PhD
- Résumé (CV)
- Optional Research material that may support your application (dissertation, paper, research work, ...)
- Management test score report: GMAT or GRE official test score report *
- English language proficiency test score report: TOEFL or IELTS **
- 2 completed online reference forms from professors
- Passport-style photo and proof of ID
- Non-refundable application fee of €60.
* Business studies and professional experience cannot waive the management test requirement. HEC Paris and IPP institutions applicants currently enrolled in a pre-experience program, may apply for a special exemption from the management test by sending their CV and academic transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 4 weeks before the chosen application deadline. Note that the exemption is not automatic but conditional on approval by the PhD Program Director based on the excellence of the grade transcript.
** Exemption for English natives and applicants who studied a university degree(s) of minimum two years in English. Please contact the PhD office to apply for exemption.
Please use the below HEC Paris codes to order your score report(s):
Visiting Research Programs
The HEC PhD program offers PhD Students from other universities to spend time at HEC Paris as a visiting student researcher or to join one of our Block Seminars, a unique opportunity to study and network with HEC PhD Students and Faculty.
The HEC Paris PhD Program offers every year or every other year an attractive series of block seminars open to PhD students from all over the world.
The HEC Paris PhD program welcomes every year PhD students from other universities who wish to benefit from courses and seminars as well as individual supervision by the professor who is the primary host.