Following mathematical studies in algebraic geometry at Lille 1 University, and a position as temporary teaching and research fellow at Lens University, Xavier Boute joined the army in 1995, where he is in charge of scientific and technical training in the army's military training programs.
As well as his career as an officer, he has given frequent statistics courses since 1999 at the Conservatoire National des Arts et Métiers de Paris and at HEC, where he teaches in the Grande Ecole, MBA and Specialized Masters programs.
As an Affiliate Professor since 2008, his position in the military naturally led him to coordinate the 'leadership and team spirit' seminar between HEC and Saint-Cyr for grande école students, and to create the MBA's 'off campus seminar', which has become an integral part of the "Visions of leadership" program.
Xavier Boute is passionate about teaching and pedagogy. His current research on teaching in France and the UK carried out with Maroussia Raveaud resulted in the production of a film, "le premier jour du citoyen" (The first day of a citizen).
In 2009 he was awarded the Pierre Vernimmen Prize by BNP-Paribas for best HEC teacher in the "affiliate, visiting and temporary professor" category.
In 2009 he also reoriented his statistics teaching, including greater levels of "decision-making" thus bringing it closer to the experience offered to HEC students in the military.
Academic responsabilities at HEC
- 2019- Associate Professor (Education Track), Economics - Decision Science HEC Paris
- 2009-2019 Affiliate Professor HEC Paris
- 2009-2009 Création et encadrement du séminaire "off campus Saint-Cyr" HEC Paris
- 2008- Encadrement du séminaire "visions of leadership" HEC Paris
- 2008- Coordinateur pédagogique du séminaire "leadership et esprit d'équipe" HEC Paris
- 2007- Encadrement du séminaire "leadership et esprit d'équipe" HEC Paris
- 1996- Créateur et responsable des cours de préparation aux mises en scolarités HEC Paris
- 1996- Responsable de la préparation au brevet technique et des préparations au diplôme technique HEC Paris
- Coordinateur des séminaires « Leadership et esprit d'équipe » entre HEC et les Ecoles de Saint-CyrCoëtquidan HEC Paris
External Academic Responsabilities
- 1995- Enseignant à l'EMSST (Enseignement Militaire Supérieur Scientifique et Technique) Enseignement Militaire Supérieur Scientifique et Technique
- 1995- Academic Director, Hors Département Enseignement Militaire Supérieur Scientifique et Technique
Awards & honors
- 2010 Prix de l'Innovation Pedagogique de l'annee 2010, Fondation HEC
- 2009 BNP Paribas Pierre Vernimmen Teaching Award (Affiliate Professor)