The Future of Money and Payments The Future of Money and Payments
The HEC x Worldline certificate course aims at establishing the future of money, payments and digital assets as a core element of academic education, while granting students access to a fast-growing sector that offers unique opportunities for the leaders of tomorrow.
Having already included the topic in their education curriculum in 2017, HEC recently joined forces with Worldline to establish a dedicated chair on the future of money. Together, HEC and Worldline have an incredibly strong network with the relevant representatives from business, technology and regulation within in France and Europe, but also abroad.
As a global leader in payments, Worldline provides the advanced payments technology that helps customers worldwide realize their ambitions. With revenues of € 4.4 billion in 2022, Worldline is the largest merchant acquirer and payment processor in Europe, and the 4th largest payment provider worldwide, employing 18’000 employees across five continents.
Through the program, students will have access to Worldline executives who share their industry experience, as well as with senior leaders from affiliated business partners and clients. A cornerstone of the certificate is a landmark case study in which students will work directly with industry professionals on real-world business challenges. The results of these projects are presented to a committee comprised of representatives from Worldline’s executive board.
Why is this certificate relevant?
- $ 8.38 trillion global digital payment value in 2022
- 9% CAGR until 2026 for the payment industry, which is 3x the expected global GDP growth
- $75 billion of combined brand equity of Visa, MasterCard and American Express
Payments are essential for every business and lifeblood of the economy; to succeed, players need to master business, technology and regulation simultaneously. At the same time, executives across all industries need a deep understanding of payments to be successful in their positions, especially in finance and commerce-related roles, as well as in start-ups.
- 9’000 Fintech startups are emerging in EMEA region
- $ 22.2 billion investment made in Fintechs in 2022
- 134’000 jobs created by Fintechs across Europe
Digital payments infrastructure is essential to the functioning of modern societies and requires top minds to work on the broad intellectual challenges it faces. It is a fast-paced, agile industry with new players emerging to challenge the status quo by introducing innovative products, disrupting the established industry landscape.
This certificate is designed to equip future leaders with the knowledge and skills to assess and solve payment-related challenges for any business, including retailers, banks and payment service providers. After completing this certificate, students will be able to:
- Understand the payment industry, its actors and underlying business models
- Advise any business in any industry on their payment strategy
- Innovate payment solutions for retailers and other merchants
- Optimize finance, treasury and payment flows for businesses
- Solve payment-related businesses challenges (such as boosting conversion)
In addition, students can benefit from the following perks that are offered exclusively to students who participate in the certificate program :
- Work on real strategy case-study jointly with Worldline executives
- Attend a professional negotiation training with an experienced trainer
- Participate in a field trip to Brussels to see payments and policy in action
- Visit to the Worldline HQ & Innovation Center in Paris
- Get access to industry executives & founders at the exclusive Fintech day
The four content aspects each target a specific learning objective while providing a holistic overview of the payments industry.
Understand the concept of money and the global payment flows behind:
- How payments and the nature of money will change – including digital currencies, cross border payments and alternative payment methods
- The societal impact and significance of payments – including financial inclusion, sovereignty and sustainability
Gain an overview of the payment industry and get to know its most relevant players:
- How the payment industry ecosystem operates – including the main players, business models, technology and regulations
- Traditional and ground-breaking use-cases for payments – including BNPL, P2P, B2B, C2C, marketplaces
Dive into a dynamic industry landscape and get insights from major transactions:
- A macro-view of payment industry consolidation landscape
- Insights into the most relevant transaction in the payments industry in the past decade
- A real-world landmark case study
Learn more about the latest technologies and how they are applied in payments:
- Key payment innovations – including biometrics, AI, metaverse, digital identity, blockchain
- The essential concepts and terminology – including regulatory frameworks and standards for data protection and information security and how they enable business
Join the HEC x Worldline Certificate on the Future of Money & Payments: A one-of-a-kind certificate that equips you with the breadth of payments knowledge and skills to succeed in a wide variety of roles.