Strategy and Business Policy Department Recruitment
FULL PROFESSOR CHAIRED POSITION IN FAMILY BUSINESS OR ENTREPRENEURSHIP
AT HEC PARIS (FRANCE)
The Strategy and Business Policy Department at HEC Paris invites applications for a Full Professor, Chaired Position in Family Business or Entrepreneurship. The preferred start date is September 1, 2022, but the position is considered open until filled. Compensation, research funding, and travel support are highly competitive, and similar to those at leading business schools in North America and Western Europe.
We are seeking candidates with a Ph.D. degree and an outstanding, world-class research track record in terms of publications in top journals and strong research orientation in the abovementioned areas. The ideal applicant should demonstrate teaching excellence in graduate and undergraduate programs, untenured faculty and Ph.D. student mentoring experience, and leadership skills to work with external stakeholders, such as partner institutions and the scholarly community at large.
Please email all application materials to the Recruiting Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A brief cover letter describing the interest in the position and relevant qualifications
- A curriculum vitae
- The names, email addresses, and phone numbers for three references
- HEC PARIS
Founded in 1881 by the Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry, HEC Paris specializes in education and research in management science. As a leading academic institution in Europe and worldwide and the most prestigious French business school, HEC Paris offers a complete and highly selective range of programs for business students and executives – including MBA, EMBA, MiM, Specialized MSc, PhD, various Executive Education programs in France, Qatar, Africa and China. The school has over 170 professors, two campuses (France, Qatar) and trains over 4,500 students in degree programs and 8,000 executives every year. HEC Paris holds triple academic accreditation by AMBA, EQUIS, and AACSB. The school is autonomous and privately governed and managed by a Board of Directors. Its shareholders are the CCI Paris Île-de-France, the HEC Foundation, and the HEC Alumni.
HEC Paris in the Rankings:
- #1 business school in Europe (Financial Times)
- #2 worldwide in Executive Education (Financial Times)
- #1 Executive MBA worldwide (Financial Times, QS)
- #1 (QS) and #5 (Financial Times) Joint Executive MBA worldwide: TRIUM program
- #1 (QS), #2 (The Economist, America Economia), and #4 (Financial Times) Full-Time MBA in Europe
- #2 (The Economist), #3 (America Economia), #4 (QS), and #11 (Financial Times) Full-Time MBA worldwide
- #1 MSc in Strategic Management worldwide (The Economist, QS)
- #1 (Financial Times), #2 (QS) MSc in Finance (Pre-experience) worldwide
- #3 MSc in Business Analytics worldwide (QS)
- #3 CEO Alma Mater business school worldwide by number of alumni holding CEO positions in Fortune Global 500 companies (Times Higher Education)
Mission and Values:
The mission of HEC Paris is twofold: (1) to educate the global business leaders of tomorrow and (2) to excel at the production of knowledge in management science. What makes HEC Paris unique is its ambition to empower individuals through knowledge – its vision of education as an endogenous growth mechanism and a driver of social welfare through entrepreneurship and the creation of economic value. The school’s motto reflects this mission: “The more you know, the more you dare”. The school enacts its mission through a cutting-edge research environment, continuous pedagogical innovation, and close connections to the corporate world and its alumni network. HEC Paris is a non-discriminatory and equal opportunity employer and values diversity and pluralism, equity, inclusion, integrity and ethics, and collaborative work.
The Strategy and Business Policy Department is composed of 18 Tenure Track Faculty, 11 Education Track Faculty, 2 Affiliate Professors and 1 Senior Research Fellow across our two campuses, in France and Qatar (faculty directory). Our faculty rank mix is well-balanced between junior, mid-level, and senior professors; gender parity is a primary goal. Department professors have diverse backgrounds; tenure-track faculty have disciplinary doctoral training in sociology, organization theory, applied and experimental economics, data analytics and computational social science from leading universities worldwide. Research interests are eclectic, including broad micro and macro areas such as:
- Creativity and learning; reputation, status, and fame; cognition and decision making; human capital, employee mobility, and incentives theory; institutional logic; language and coordination.
- Organizational structure and design, social networks, and social capital; organizational learning and group decision-making processes; strategy implementation.
- Competitive strategy, strategy dynamics, and sustainable competitive advantage; firm innovation and technology development, multi-sided markets; business models.
- Corporate strategy and international business; firm partnerships and mergers and acquisitions, value-based strategy; private equity investment; corporate governance.
- Non-market strategy; corporate political activity; corporate scandals and misconduct; public-private policy; sustainability and CSR; (social) entrepreneurship and inequity; global warming.
- The formal foundations of strategy, the economics of strategy and organization; data analytics, digitization, digital strategy, and transformation.
The department research productivity from 2018 to 2020 – the last three years of data before the full effects of the Covid19 pandemic were experienced – was of a total of 23 A-journal publications, with 21 total publications in the five main Strategy A-journals – Strategic Management Journal, Academy of Management Journal, Academy of Management Review, Administrative Science Quarterly, and Organization Science. This publication productivity is at par with the top 5 Management departments in the United States in terms of Strategy A-journal publications per faculty (and with the top 10 US Management departments in absolute number of Strategy A-journal publications), as listed in the TAMUGA Rankings. Besides the five main Strategy journals, our department has also published in Nature, Management Science, the American Journal of Sociology, the Journal of Banking and Finance, and Research Policy. Currently, the department has 16 doctoral students (PhD student directory). The department designs and runs multiple programs across the school, including the MSc in Strategic Management, the MBA Strategy Specialization, the MBA Entrepreneurship Specialization, the PhD Strategy Specialization and the EMBA and TRIUM EMBA Strategy area curriculum.
For additional information about the position, please contact the Department Co-Chairs or visit the Department website. If you require assistance with your application or experience technical problems, please contact the Department Administrative Assistants.
- Application Email: email@example.com
- Department Co-Chairs:
Oliver Gottschalg: firstname.lastname@example.org, (+33) 18.104.22.168.66
Gonçalo Pacheco de Almeida: email@example.com, (+33) 22.214.171.124.62
- Department Administrative Assistants:
Nathalie Regnier: firstname.lastname@example.org, (+33) 126.96.36.199.68
Isabel Anaya Perez: email@example.com, (+33) 188.8.131.52.51
- Department Website:
- Department Research Tenure Track Faculty:
Mitali Banerjee, Olivier Chatain, Ankur Chavda, Yasir Dewan, Rodolphe Durand, Pierre Dussauge, Oliver Gottschalg, Marieke Huysentruyt, Hyejun Kim, John Mawdsley, Denisa Mindruta, Tomasz Obloj, Gonçalo Pacheco de Almeida, Nils Plambeck, Bertrand Quélin, Elie Sung, Georg Wernicke, and Matthew Yeaton.
- Department Education Track Faculty, Affiliate Faculty, and Senior Research Fellows:
Wolfgang Amann, Anne-Valérie Corboz, Bénédicte Faivre Tavignot, Vincent Fraitot, Laurence Lehmann Ortega, Frédéric Leroy, Julien Levy, Pablo Martin De Holan, Hélène Musikas, Thomas Paris, Bertrand Pointeau, Michel Safars, Olivier Sibony, and Patricia Thornton.