Kristine de Valck is Associate Dean and Director of the PhD Program at HEC Paris. Her research and teaching focus on how the Internet in general and social media in particular have changed consumer behavior, organizations, and marketing practice.
Her work has been published in the British Journal of Management, Decision Support Systems, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Journal of Marketing, Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing and Psychology & Marketing, as well as in various edited books. Kristine has won multiple awards for her research including the prestigious ‘Citations of Excellence Award 2013’ for her dissertation-based article that is among the 50 most-cited publications among 13,000 articles published in the top international academic journals.
Kristine has developed numerous courses about marketing through social media, including a freely available course on iTunesU (2010) and a MOOC on Coursera (2017). Kristine regularly collaborates with companies, including Air France-KLM, BNP-Paribas, Canson, Carrefour, Disneyland Paris, Etam Group, Faurecia, Gucci, Hammerson, Meetic, Orange Business Service, Renault, Saint Laurent, SFR, and Yahoo! Kristine was the academic director of the International Teachers Programme from 2012-2014, she headed the Marketing PhD program from 2010-2013, and the Marketing Department from 2015-2018. Kristine held the Luxury Chair at HEC Paris sponsored by Kering from 2015-2018. Currently, she is board member of the International Schools in Business Management consortium.
Kristine has a PhD in Marketing Management from RSM Erasmus University and she has been a faculty member at HEC Paris since 2004.
Academic responsabilities at HEC
- 2018- Associate Dean, Director of the HEC Ph.D. Program HEC Paris
- 2016-2018 Academic Director, KERING HEC Paris
- 2015-2017 Department Head, Marketing HEC Paris
- 2015-2017 Academic Director of EMBA Major Leading Digital Transformation HEC Paris
- 2012-2014 Academic Director of the International Teachers Programme HEC Paris
- 2010- Associate Professor, Marketing HEC Paris
- 2004- Member of GREGHEC (CNRS) HEC Paris
External Academic Responsabilities
- 2008-2008 April-May Visiting Scholar, Schulich School of Business Université York
Membership in Academic or Professional Organisation
- Member, ACR
- Member, AFM
- Member, EMAC
Awards & honors
- 2017 HEC Foundation Best Paper Award for The Effect of Electronic Word of Mouth on Sales: A Meta-Analytic Review of Platform, Product, and Metric Factors
- 2014 Academy of Management Best Paper Award for Between Fame and Blame: The Contested Meaning of Personal Branding in the Field of Journalism
- 2013 Citations of Excellence Award for Virtual Communities: A Marketing Perspective, Decision Support Systems (2009).
- 2010 HEC Foundation Price Best Research Paper for "Networked Narratives: Understanding Word-of-Mouth Marketing in Online Communities", which appeared in the Journal of Marketing
- 2009 2009 ACR Film Festival Juror's Prize Award Best Consumer Research Videography for "Brothers in Paint"
- 2005 Nominated for the SAP-PIM Marketing Science Award 2005, the Netherlands for the dissertation "Virtual Communities of Consumption: Networks of Consumer Knowledge and Companionship", ERIM PhD Series: Research in Management, EPS-2005-050-MKT, ISBN 90-5892-078-X.
- 1998 Dr Peters Price 1998 for best master thesis in trends of audiovisual research