HEC Débats strives to organise ever more intriguing conferences and debates on important, current topics, inviting interesting and influential guest speakers to campus to join them in their mission.
- HEC Débats organises conferences with leading figures from different backgrounds-economics, politics, multicultural- providing the perfect opportunity for students to hear from key individuals in a debate setting.
- Holding meetings on average 2-3 times a month, to discuss events and organization.
- Attending debates and conferences in French with influential guest speakers.
- HEC Débats’ three main values are
- Between 10 and 12 conferences each year, primarily on campus.
These conferences welcome guest speakers to the HEC campus to share their opinions.
- Roundtable discussions
HEC Débats also organises roundtable discussions with several guests. Past speakers include journalist Audrey Pulvar and Eric Fottorino (former director of Le Monde) on a range of topics: journalism, women’s place in society, issues with the gender pay gap. Other important guests include Benoît Hamon, Stephane Le Foll, and Bernard Cazeneuve.
Why join this society? :
- HEC Débats strives to welcome as wide a range of students as possible.
- Benefit from the opportunity to keep up to date with current topics and hear the opinions of leading figures who have an impact in those areas.
- Learn more about debating and get an insight into those topics discussed.
- Joining the society allows students to interact with interesting and influential people.
- Have the opportunity to broaden your leadership and organisation skills by becoming part of the HEC Débats team.
- Around 20-25 members each year.
- A society office, which is comprised of 10-15 active members who take on different roles.
- HEC Débats has a budget of €10-15,000 per year. This money goes mainly towards cocktail evenings at conferences, covering guests’ travel expenses, and exterior events.
- The society’s main sponsor is Mazars, but they also have partnerships with Caisse D’Epargne, and Billecart-Salmon provides Champagne to serve at events.
The Society’s History:
Founded in 1981, HEC Débats is one of the older societies at HEC. It was originally called HEC Conferences but has developed over the past 37 years, welcoming important guests such as Bill Gates to campus to participate in a variety of debates. Each year, the society aims to improve the quality of events and organisation, and to invite speakers who are ever more influential.